Free Online Learning Modules
New Open University Online Learning Modules
Three free online learning modules, which support GTC Scotland Professional Standards, Professional Update and Professional Recognition, have been developed in response to Recommendations 1 and 2 of the 2014 Education Scotland Review: Making Sense of Dyslexia: Education for Children and Young People with Dyslexia in Scotland. The modules are primarily for teachers, school management and GTCS registered local authority education officers. The modules are:
- Module 1: ‘Introduction to Dyslexia and Inclusive Practice’
- Module 2: 'Supporting Dyslexia, Inclusive Practice and Literacy'
- Module 3: 'Dyslexia: Identification and Support'
All of the modules need to be completed in order - you cannot go straight to module 2 or 3 without doing the previous one. Please note that you need to log into OpenLearn Create before you start the modules.
The modules have been developed to complement the 2015 Education Scotland Route Map for Dyslexia and Inclusive Practice. They were written by the Making Sense Working Group and supported by the Opening Educational Practices Scotland Project hosted at the Open University in Scotland.
- To inform practitioners about ways in which they might engage in meaningful career-long professional learning in order to improve outcomes for children and young people
- Provide free and accessible opportunities to engage with professional learning
- To support deeper learning and understanding of dyslexia and inclusive practice
- Provide opportunities for participants to reflect on their practice regarding dyslexia and inclusion
- To encourage all teachers to be familiar with, and make appropriate use of, the Addressing Dyslexia Toolkit
- To support teachers in achieving professional recognition for areas of enhanced accomplishment in their professional practice.
This short course is designed to provide an introduction for teachers, community educators and anyone with an interest in developing positive approaches to supporting dyslexia in their inclusive practice. This resource links to the General Council for Scotland’s Professional Standards.
This module will support a deeper understanding of dyslexia and inclusion.
This module is for specialist support teachers.